5.01.2015

Mal de Mer


This piece is finally finished...why do we procrastinate the things we want to do?
At school a few weeks ago I found one of those lovely old paper world maps, about 5'x3', in the trash. It's ok for art teachers to grab things from the trash, so I snatched it and I am excited to use it on many projects.


For this piece, I cut a bit from the ocean and collaged it into a box. Then I used the swirling technique that I used on Tempus Fugit (I have to remember to take a video next time I do this!) with white encaustic paint to create the "waves" at the bottom before doing a clear fill.  


Then I drew and collaged an old ship on top.


I also added some fishing hooks using a dual-surface fill like it did on the Lux Mentis Lux Orbis piece to hold them in place. (Again, why don't I film these things?) 



I added a few flicks of white encaustic paint to the surface, and that is Mal de Mer, a French phrase for seasickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Browse Works by Theme