4.08.2015

Wendigo


This is the first piece in a new Mythological Creatures series. I'll be tagging them under the "Literary" category if you are searching by theme, since they are all based on stories. 


The Wendigo is a fairly common creature in folklore, originating from stories of the Algonquian people. It is supposedly what a human can turn into when he practices cannibalism for an extended period. While images of the Wendigo vary, they usually include elongated limbs and antlers.



Mine began as a small plastic skeleton. I added red clay to build up areas as skin and to hold things in place.


I added two twigs as antlers on his head.


He is affixed to a wooden circle base with a copper name plate.
I love the faux taxidermy element of this. It's like I snatched the little guy from the forest and mounted him on the pedestal. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Browse Works by Theme